As a truck driver, you should know very well that GPS plays a crucial role in your job and it contributes greatly to the successful performance of a freight delivery. A better GPS will have more advanced features such as accident and traffic jam alerts, optimized routes, precise directions, etc. Besides, truck GPS has lots of differences from a car GPS. With an ordinary car GPS, you might end up getting in a shortcut with low bridges above the vehicle that prevent your big rig or cargo truck from passing by, or sharp turns that are not safe for long vehicles like trucks. Therefore, you should be very careful in picking a GPS for your truck. Some companies offer the best truck GPS in the market with lots of features and affordable prices. They will be named in the list below.
Things To Consider
Before you buy a truck GPS, there are many things you should consider in order to pick the right GPS for your truck and your taste.
- Display style: GPS manufactured by different companies will have different display style. For example, they will have various map style with different color schemes, road displays, etc. Icons and legends on the map are also different from each other. Therefore, you should consider about how you can understand and remember them comfortably.
- Real-time traffic updates: Your job is to deliver the freight on time and intact. Therefore, it is best that you avoid traffic jams, accidents, bad traffic as much as possible. GPS with real-time traffic updates will help you out with this.
- Optimized truck routing feature: This is undoubtedly a very important feature for truck drivers.
- Points of interest: Along the trip, you will have to visit some POIs such as weigh stations, gas stations, truck stops, etc. so having these legends shown on the map will make your trip much more comfortable.
- Screen size: This aspect should be considered because of the laws on GPS device in truck cabin and your own preference.
- Price: The most important thing to consider. Remember that you should pick up the most suitable one with an affordable price.
The Top 4
Here are some of good GPSs in the market that will make your job many times easier and more comfortable.
Garmin nüvi 2797LMT GPS
Garmin GPS has lots of cool stuff to keep you updated and alert during the trip. The PhotoReal and Bird’s Eye junction views offer a clear view on crossroads so you can drive safer. It has an mobile phone app that can connect to the GPS for better navigation, with updated POIs, parking lots, and destination route calculations. This is definitely one of the best truck GPSs out there you should consider first.
Rand McNally TND730LM GPS
Rand McNally is the best brand for truck GPS and their products are simply marvelous. The TND730LM encompasses everything truck drivers need for a safe and quick delivery. The GPS has Wifi features with live fuel price updates and quick route calculations so that you can change your route immediately without any problem. The GPS is considered an all-in-one device without luxury quality. However, the price for this product is quite high, around $359.99, but it’s worth the price.
Cobra Platinum Trucker GPS Mobile Navigator
Cobra Platinum Trucker GPS now has updated maps with live traffic updates and special predictive traffic alerts so that you will always know what lies ahead. The GPS also features enhanced state mileage log & hours of service timers. The display is simple, clear and easy to understand.
TomTom VIA 1535TM 5-Inch Bluetooth GPS Navigator
The TomTom Truck GPS has voice recognition so you can ask for directions without having to touch the screen. The map is updated frequently with real-time updates on traffic and weather. The screen is only 5 inch, so it is smaller and doesn’t need much room in the cabin. Its map covers the USA, Canada and Mexico. The price is also lower than the Rand McNally GPS but it works like a charm.
Now that you have got some ideas to answer, what is the best truck GPS to buy? The rest of the situation depends on your budget and what you will use the GPS. Remember that the more expensive isn’t always the better. You need to plan ahead how the GPS will be used in your job, your truck cabin interior, preferences of use and more importantly, your budget plan. Picking a suitable affordable truck GPS will be much more effective than getting an expensive one without understanding it well.