The CB radio, or also known as the Citizens’ Band radios, is a very well-known and widely used tool for communication between two parties under the same radio channel. The CB radio used to be an indispensable accessory of truck drivers to have two-way conversations with other fellows and with a station over traffic, police presence, road and weather conditions, chit-chat, etc.
The history of CB dates back to 1945 when the first CB radio was put into use. The tool was at its prime during the 1980s as the main way to communicate between drivers on the road. Nowadays, CB radio has gradually lost it place and yielded to the mobile phone and mobile apps. However, many truck drivers still stick to the traditional style. Picking up CB radio depends on which type of vehicle you are driving and your own taste in the tool. Before listing the best CB radios for truckers, we would like to explain some criteria for choosing CB radio for your vehicle.
Things To Consider
- Backlit display: You will use the radio not only in the daytime, but also at night. So having a good backlit display will ease the stress on your eyes to read the channel or the buttons.
- Instant channels: Quick access to important channels such as channel 9 for emergency and channel 19 for truckers is very crucial. You should pick up CB radios with this feature already installed.
- Public Address feature: This allows the driver to broadcast public announcements to people outside the vehicle.
- Automatic Noise Limit: This will save you from the background noise that can be very annoying sometimes.
- Strong signal reception: This feature, combined with intelligent channel filter, will help you stay tuned on a channel without getting disconnected.
The best CB radios
Here is the list of best CB radios for truckers in terms of quality, features and durability.
The Midland 1001LWX is a compact CB radio, thus it doesn’t need much space and can fit very well into small cabin. The automatic local scans for weather news and traffic reports are very useful especially in sudden situations. This product s recommended by many users for its small and compact size, lots of features for truckers and good performance.
The special thing about Cobra HHRoadtrip is that it is portable, which means you can carry it along with you outside the vehicle, unlike to other products mounted in the cabin. This CB radio can receive 40 channels with 10 channels for emergency and weather alerts and announcements from NOAA.
Cobra 29 LX
This CB radio has a selectable LCD color display; strong signal reception, signal wave filter and radio frequency gain to make sure you are well tuned to hear clearly from the station. Recommended for strong performance and easy use.
It has a signal strength display so drivers can pick up strong channel to listen to. Public Address feature is strong with this product. It is recommended by many truck drivers and a electronic product site for quality performance and many added useful features.
This one is a compact CB radio to save the space in your cabin. Although it’s small, it still provides enough features for truck drivers. All of the functions on this CB radio are easy to access and its price is also very affordable. That’s why it’s one of the best CB radios for truckers.
The answer to which CB radio to buy depends on which type of vehicle you are driving and how you would like to use your CB radio. All in all, it comes down to taste that decides it. The list above introduces best CB radios for truckers in terms of quality, features and durability for use.